Wonderwerk van die Mayflower in Hermanus 1901

IMG_0002Met die lees van die storie sien ek in me gedagtes my Ouma daar vêr in Namakwaland baie jare gelede voor die wasbak staan en sing uit volle bors “Prys die Heer met blye galme”  buiten dat ek na haar verlang, weet ek dat in tye van nood glo in God se Woord en hou net aan om Hom te loof.k

Hans_die_Skipper_02Die film Hans die Skipper is in 1953 in en rondom die Ou hawe van Hermanus gefilm.  Met die lees wonderwerk op die Mayflower boot in 1901 en wonder of dit die oorsprong van die film Hans die Skipper is?  Hierdie fotos is nie van die oorspronklike Mayflower boot nie, maar ‘n boot wat in die Ou Haw lê.

50MAYFLOWER WONDERWERK

Hierdie verhaal is deur Martha Erwee van Caledon aan die Museum gegee.  Dis in Hollands en Engels en dominee Dreyer van daardie tyd het dit vir haar ouers as trougeskenk gegee – vir die nageslag –  Op pad na die museum het sy by Kosie du Toit langs gegaan – hy sê toe: Die Mayflower was sy pa se boot, dws dit was oom Danie du Toit (Niel se oupa) se boot.

He that will learn to pray,

Let him go to sea.

George Herbert 31 Mei 1901 Het mag niet verswegen word, en ook ter wille van het nageslacht te boek gesteld word, van hoe wonderbaar die Heere ons uit een groot gevaar op zee gered heeft!

IMG_0017Die see lê stil en plat onder n helder volmaan. Al wat die ge-oefende seemansoor in die visbaai kan hoor, is die sagte geruis van die see en die branders wat klots teen rotse rondom hulle. Die dorp slaap nog rustig. In die baai beweeg ses man rond om visgerei en boot reg te kry. Die maanlig sal help om n paar uur ekstra vangtyd in te pas. Dis om en by halfdrie toe hulle die Mayflower in die water stoot. Die skipper is Jan Van Rhyn wat ook sy veertien-jarige seun saamneem. Die ander vissers is William Lundt, Jan Germishuizen, Pieter de Villiers en Hendrik Minnaar. Die bestemming is Gansbaai. Die weer was pragtig oop en helder en niemand kon droom van gevaar nie.

Saam met n ligte Suidooswindjie klink die woorde van n Sankeylied op. Dit word gevolg met Komt treën wij dan gemoedigd voort. Eenklaps is daar n gedruis. Die Noordwes het plotseling opgekom. Uit vrees dat die Mayflower kan omslaan, word die seile vinnig gestryk en begin hulle teen die wind in roei. Huiswaarts keer, was al raad. Die maan was steeds helder, maar die bemanning wens dat dag wil breek. Hulle gooi een anker uit. Teen ligdag word die seile weer gespan, maar die wind is so sterk en het boonop Noord gedraai, dat hulle dit weer moes stryk. Dit help niks en Mayflower dryf voort in n woeste see.

Meteens gryp die branders en slaan drie van die roeispane in die water. Tot hul groot geluk kon hulle twee van die spane uit die see terugkry. Die derde een, die sterkste en miskien die een waarin hul meeste vertroue gehad het, dryf weg. Dis nou baie duidelik dat doodsgevaar oor die manne hang. Die enigste hoop op redding is God alleen. Menslikgesproke is daar hoegenaamd geen kans om lewendig aan land te kom nie. Soos een man neem hul nou hul toevlug na die Here.

Een vir een kniel die manne in die skuit om te bid. Hul smeek dat God hul sal red. In Ps 50:15 sê die Here: Roep mij aan in den dag der benaawdheid, Ik zal er u uithelpen. Hulle bring plegtige beloftes voor die Heer. Doodangs was op elke gelaat. Die see word hoe langer, hoe onstuimiger. Willem Lundt was die vorige aand in die biduur in die kerk waar gebid is dat elkeen gereed sal wees om God te ontmoet.

Daar word weer gebid, elke man bid tweemaal. Die doodsangs is gebreek and alles word kalm. Willem vra: Glo elkeen van julle dat die Here magtig is om uit te red? Een vir een antwoord: Ja, ek glo. Dis nou omstreeks 12 uur die middag. Die Here beskik genadiglik dat elkeen sy sinne behou. Elkeen doen net sy uiterste beste. Alhoewel hul oortuig is dat die Here hul sal red, span hul kragte saam om uit die gevaar te kom.. Dit was n groot teleurstelling toe die ankel vashaak. Daar word sterk teen die ankertou geroei om te probeer om dit los te kry. Durentyd praat hul mekaar moed in.

Die golwe rol soos groot berge rondom die skuit, maar wonderbaarlik kom geen water binne-in nie. Dit is vir hulle baie duidelik dat die Here met hul is. Terwyl Psalm 146 opklink, hoor hul mekaar se stemme beswaarlik bo die sterk wind. Prys den Heer met blyde galmen, o myn siel, daars ryke stof ….. En Hom grootmaak in my lied. Dis nou omtrent vier-uur die middag.

Skielik begin dit reën en die wind bedaar. Dankwoorde word na die Skepper uitgespreek. Die anker lig en verligte vissermanne begin huiswaarts vaar. Toe een van die seile skeur, is hul verplig om te roei. Alles gaan voorspoedig en sewe-uur die aand bereik hul die visbaai, styf en afgemat na sestien uur in lewensgevaar. Geliefdes ontvang hul met groot vreugde en trane van blydskap en almal is gevul met opregte dankbaarheid teenoor die Here vir hierdie wonderwerk uit Sy Vaderhand.  Prys die Here

Ek het die storie weer by S.J du Toit gekry… dis soos kampvuur stories, oorvertel van geslag na geslag

IMG_0661 Hierdie vissermanne trotseer nog steeds die waters in en om Hermanus en gaan uit vanaf die Nuwe in Hermanus.  Hierdie is ‘n foto van laasjaar se snoek loop.  Laat on die vissermanne wat die see trotseer in ons gebede hou.

Fotos:  Jaydee Media

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , , , | Leave a comment

DIE DOLLA VAN LOSKOP DOLLA


bokkieDIE DOLLA VAN LOSKOP DOLLA

SY WOON NOU IN HUIS LETTIE THERON

Baardscheerdersbos, die bakermat van Strandveld se tradisionele liedjies, het talle begaafde musikante opgelewer. Baie van hulle het op ’n besondere instrumente op een of ander tyd in die kalklig gekom.

Wyle Ben Benade het in sy boek : Die Baardscheersbos orkes: 10 jaar, skryf onderhoudend van daardie toeka se dae. Die musiek en die ontstaan van geliefde Afrikaanse liedjies, wat deesdae  nie deur baie onthou word nie, wat nog gesê gesing word.

Oom Hendrik Groenewal (later bekend as Oom Snoekies) het in daardie laat 1920s en 1930s bekend geraak vir sy konsertina-spel. Hy het ’n eie besondere ritme-aanslag gehad. Sy komposisies kon ’n man se voete dit eenvoudig net nie hou nie – jy moes dans.

Oom Snoekies se dogter het in daardie dae bekendheid verwerf deur ’n rol te speel in een van sy bekendste liedjies :  Bokkie.

Hier volg die storie van Tanie Doll Groenewald van Huis Lettie Theron, woonstel 25. Sy is op Baardskeerdersbos gebore en het later op Gansbaai gewoon .

Susanna Magdalena Maria (“Doll”) Groenewald, is gebore in die vroeë lente van 1928. Haar moeder het haar “Dollie” genoem wat later Doll geword het.

Op 4 of 5 jarige ouderdom het sy saam met die familie gereeld by Uilenkraalsmond gaan uitkamp. In die kwaai Desember-winde en met seewater en sand, het Doll se hare wat pal deurmekaar was, haar min gepla. Haar kam het tuis vergete gebly.

Wanneer haar pa, oom Snoekies Groenewald en oom Smallie musiek maak, het sy nader getrippel om te luister. Toe laasgenoemde Doll se deurmekaar hare sien, sing hy ewe spontaan, ‘Nee, ek vry nie met ’n loskop dol nie. Hy het dit gereeld herhaal en algaande nuwe woorde bygevoeg wat onder andere ‘die trane die rol oor jou bokkie’ ingesluit net.

Eers was sy baie kwaad omrede haar deurmekaar hare so gruwelik misbruik is, maar die wysie en woorde het inslag gevind en ’n paar jaar later het almal in die Strandveld dit gesing. Doll was later baie trots daarop dat sy dié Dolla van dié liedjie was!

Dit dan is die verhaal van ’n werklike Dolla uit die “loskop Dolla” van e “Bokkie”. As kinders het hulle dit baie gesing. Die woordjie “vry” moes hulle vir die groot mense se onthalwe na “lol” verander. Dit het egter nie verhoed dat hulle, wanneer die geleentheid hom voordoen, die woorde “loskop tolla” in die plek van “loskop Dolla” gesing het nie.

Dat dié liedjie vinnig en wyd en syd versprei het, was geensins iets buitengewoons nie. Mense het van heinde en verre Uilenskraalmond as seebadsplek besoek – vakansiegangers uit al vier provinsies van die destydse Unie van Suid-Afrika.

Hier volg die amptelike woorde van die liedjie:

BOKKIE

Die trane die rol oor jou Bokkie  (2x)

Dis daar waar die son en die maan ondergaan

Bokka ons moet nou huis toe gaan.

Nee, nee, nee my Dolla nee

Nee my Dolla Nee

Nee, my Dolla Nee

Nee, nee, nee my Dolla nee

Ek lol nie met ’n loskop Dolla nie.

 

sj_du_toit

 

Geskryf deur : Esje du Toit

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Stories | Tags: , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Windsor Lodge Hotel formerly The Sanatorium

 

The Hoffmans who had the Sanatorium came from a strangely eccentric family.  Their father farmed at Speelmansrivier, Caledon.   Around 1875 the Hoffman family made a pact to leave all their possessions to the church until the end of the world.  It included the father Dirk Wouter, his wife, a sister and the nine children.  Together the family who was described as reclusive and religiously fervent also decided that none of the children would marry and that they would all be buried in a  sealed mausoleum on the farm to share their final resting place.

One of the sons, Sebastian SB Hoffman broke the pact, moving to the Transvaal to marry.  Until 2000 his grandson Pieter leased the former family farm  from the NG Sendingkerk, which inherited the estate.

Dr Josua Hoffman, the second youngest son also married.  His bride was Maria Smuts, sister of General Smuts.  They had no children.  In 1896 Dr Joshua and his brother Willem built the Sanatorium on Marine Drive.

The health-giving qualities of Hermanus are fully recognised by the medical fraternity who have always recommended patients requiring health-recuperating holidays to stay in Hermanus.   Not only patients who came for the healthy air visited the Sanatorium, but Dr Joshua also encouraged dominees and missionaries to come for a rest.  The well-known Dr Andrew Murray once stayed there for a time of rest.  Some of the local teachers also made it their home.

Both Dr Joshua and his wife Maria died in 1923 and were laid to rest in the family vault on the farm.  The next owners were Parker & Kruger (1919), Margaretha Steyn (1920), followed by David Allengensky (1931) – one of these probably changed the name to Windsor Hotel and made improvements.  Alex Luyt bought it in 1940.

In 1958 Bill Record bought the Windsor and he decided to get the support of the local community when other hotels closed their doors during the quiet season.  There were few restaurants then and the Windsor became the place to dine out.  AA Rand for a rump was Bill’s eye-catching advert in the Hermanus news – and that rump steak was delicious.   Basil Clark-Brown became owner in 1980’s and much later his son Garth Clark-Brown when the establishment became the Windsor Lodge Hotel.

Information and copyright:  S.J. du Toit                  Photos: Old Harbour Museum and Windsor Hotel

The Windsor Hotel today (2010)

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical, Hermanus Hotels | Tags: , , , , | Leave a comment

Boogie with the Right Whales

 

Boogie with the Right Whales: South Africa’s only Whale Watching and Enviro-Arts Festival begins 28 September

The Hermanus Whale Festival – Africa’s only whale watching and envrio-arts festival, where revellers can dance into the night against the remarkable backdrop of Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and Right Whales – takes place in South Africa from 28 September to 1 October: www.whalefestival.co.za

Hermanus – home to the world’s only ‘Whale Crier’- is considered the best land-based location for whale-watching anywhere in the world.  Located along the southern coast of South Africa’s unspoilt Western Cape, Hermanus provides a unique opportunity to watch the Southern Right Whales as they migrate from the Antarctic to calve in the shelter of Walker Bay.

The Hermanus Whale Festival coincides with peak-viewing season when visitors can see these astonishing animals just offshore.  A record-breaking 172 whale sightings have been recorded in one day. The Town’s Whale Crier blows a huge horn to mark the sighting of a whale.

The Hermanus Whale Festival celebrates its 21st birthday this year and has an unprecedented range of events and performances taking place over the four days, including live music, story telling events, food and wine tasting and an endurance swim. An Eco Tent running throughout the Festival will help visitors improve their knowledge of whales.

Whale-watching and other marine activities are some of South Africa’s best-known and unique offerings. While Hermanus is the most famous place to spot whales, Port Elizabeth, east along the Garden Route, is the focal point for witnessing another natural phenomenon: the Great Sardine Run. Between May and July shoals as great as 7km long, 1.5km wide, 30m deep and containing literally billions of fish, gather offshore in a seasonal reproductive migration.  This natural spectacle brings thousands of visitors to watch. For something with a bit more bite, a 40 min journey west from Hermanus to Gansbaai brings those after a real adventure up close and personal with another marine giant with a range of companies offering the chance to cage dive with sharks.

As well as land-based whale watching, visitors can catch sight of the Cape’s famous creatures by air (micro-light tours are a popular option) and sea (both boat cruises and by sea kayak). For those wanting to get away from the crowds there is also the possibility that you may catch a private viewing of whales off shore from horseback as you trot along the deserted Grotto beach 10 mins from the city centre.

– END –

Issued by Kallaway on behalf of South African Tourism

For further information contact:

Website www.southafrica.net

2 Portland Road Holland Park London W11 4LA

My photo was used by Kallaway on behalf of SA Tourism – great!

Dear Jeanette,

There is a copy of the press release which we have issued for the Hermanus Whale Festival.

If anything goes to print we will accredit your photos to you.

All the best,

George

Kallaway

Categories: Hermanus, Whales | Tags: , , , , | Leave a comment

Robey Leibbrandt, the “spy” lived in Hermanus after his release (1948)

Sixty-five years ago, a famous Afrikaner sportsman turned Nazi after attending the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  Heavyweight boxer, Robey Leibbrandt, met and became mesmerized by Adolf Hitler, and the triumphant rise of Hitler’s National Socialists completely took in the young Afrikaner.   Hitler’s aides began to seduce Leibbrandt into acting on their behalf in South Africa.

Strangely enough, both central figures in  the ensuing dramatic events that almost changed the course of South African history, lived in Hermanus for brief periods.  General Jan Smuts, famous statesman and war-time prime minister of South Africa  loved to spend short resting holidays in the village, and the man who almost assassinated him, Robey Leibbrandt, lived here for a short time after his release from prison in 1948.

Leibbrandt was extensively trained in sabotage and espionage, and also underwent rigorous training as a Stormtrooper in Germany.  After the outbreak of war, he was appointed to spearhead Operation Weissdorn – the overthrow of Jan Smut’s coalition government and the establishment of a National Socialist republic in South Africa.  He was secretly landed from a French yacht on the West Coast from where he made his way inland to begin his task.

Leibbrandt tried to assume control of the Ossewa Brandwag and planned the assassination of General Smuts.  When the authorities learned of his plans, top-policeman Jan Taillard was appointed to flush out Leibbrandt.  He was trapped in a daring action and received the death sentence at the ensuing court hearing.  But Robey Leibbrandt did not die on the gallows.  Two days before Christmas he was informed that the Smuts Government had commuted his sentence to life imprisonment.  “How can I hang the son of such a courageous Boer warrior?”  Smuts had asked.    In gaol he often resisted authority. Once he had to be removed from his cell by being incapacitated by tear gas.  When Dr Malan’s party won the 1948 election, Leibbrandt was released.

He lived in Hermanus not long after his release, staying in Magnolia street – several residents knew him in those years.  He helped Kaiser de Kock with boxing lessons.  Boetie de Villiers told me how Robey liked to visit them and enjoyed his mother’s fresh home baked bread.  Douglas McFarlane of Fynbos Park knew Leibbrandt well socially and while they trained as policemen in Pretoria.  He remembers that Robey was a health fanatic and used to sleep on the floor.

Not much was heard of the Rebel leader afterwards.  He tried his hand at business ventures in various small towns, failing to gain significant support for an Anti-Communist Front.  He died in obscurity at Ladybrand of a heart attack in 1966.

Story and copyright: S.J. du Toit

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , , , | 1 Comment

The Swallow Legend

THE SWALLOW LEGEND – Swallow Park

Hermanus history has produced a few legendary characters.  Swallow is one of them.  Magdalena (Swallow) Neethling (1877-1953) was born on the farm Neethlingshof near Riviersonderend, one of eleven children.

Swallow arrived in Hermanus as a young teacher in the early1890s.  Until 1912 she spent her days in the old Dutch Reformed school and lived at the Sanatorium.  Walking between her “home” and the school, she started dreaming of the patch of wasteland where she eventually created the park that bears her name. From 1912 she taught in the new school until her retirement.

Swallow’s strong, positive influence  not only touched her many pupils across the decades, but enriched the lives of her large family and  friends.

Swallow earned the nickname before coming to Hermanus. She was a petite woman, always darting like a bird.  Her previous post was at a Caledon farm school.  At Hermanus Primary, which later became Hermanus Secondary School, Swallow was the Standard Six teacher.  She was excellent at all her work and maintained strict discipline.  Her pupils loved her, but were scared stiff of her in class.  She regularly played the harmonium at functions.  Among others she also served as justice of the peace.

When the council gave Swallow the green light for the park, she worked there almost non-stop in her free time.   Frikkie van Eeden, living at the Ocean View, helped with the layout.  He built the sunken and raised rockeries, the two fountains and the jarra wood picket fence.  Her Cape Town friends donated the benches. Swallow was determined to give something back to the village where she spent many happy years of her life.   Swallow Park was the pride and joy of all Hermanus peoples for many years.

Unfortunately Swallow paid heavily for gardening in the park.  Long before retirement, she was stricken with osteoarthritis, which left her with crooked hands and restricted walking.  In her last teaching years, she often rested on a special couch in her classroom.  In 1930 she finally retired and spent the rest of her life as an invalid.  This did not prevent her from corresponding regularly with family and friends.  She was an exceptional writer. Although she could later just manage to hold a pen between two fingers, her handwriting was still beautiful.  Reading her letters of fifty years ago, is a revelation.  She was bright and encouraging. Her special philosophies radiate from those lines. Her final years were spent with  her sisters in and around Napier.

Swallow flew home on 7 August 1953 and is buried at Neethlingshof where she was born.

It is a shame today to look at the sorry state of Swallow Park.  Are we failing to protect our heritage in the heart of town?   Do we need another Swallow to save it?

Information: S.J. du Toit                 Photo: Old Harbour Museum

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Marine Hotel – The Grand Old Lady

The Marine Hotel

In 1902 Beyers and McFarlane, who were brothers-in-law, bought land from Willem HT Hoffman and built the Marine Hotel.  It was a much grander affair than their first hotel, the Victoria, although they still had no electricity or running water in the rooms.   Many visitors came from Cape Town, overcoming the hardship of a three day ox-wagon ride.  In 1915  the partnership between these  two men ended and Valentine Beyers kept the Marine while McFarlane took the Victoria.

Soon after this new arrangement Pieter John Luyt,  son-in-law of Valentine Beyers came to manage the hotel and when Beyers died, John became owner of the hotel, which he extended, enlarging the kitchen and added more rooms and bathrooms.

During the 1920s the Marine with its ballroom became extremely popular and many wealthy and famous people stayed there for  holidays. Among them was Sir William Hoy who stayed at the hotel annually for many years.    Princess Alice  visited in 1923.

After John Luyt’s untimely death in 1940, the hotel was still run by the Luyt family.  Joey Luyt  and her daughters, with the help of Miss Hodgkin kept the Luyt tradition going and the Marine fame as high as before.  When the hotel was eventually sold in 1947 to Continental Hotels with Mr Colbeck as manager, the Luyt era of more than three decades, ended.

In 1968 the hotel became known as Hinder’s Marine, when Mr Hinder of the Arthur Seat Hotel in Sea Point owned it.  He developed the San Marino  on the adjacent plot.  It had extra bedrooms, a ballroom and  casino.   The manager at the time was Hans Mäjlman.

David Rawdon bought the Marine in the early 1980’s.  He closed the hotel for four years while renovations were carried out.  It was only in 1985 that the hotel was opened once more and over the following thirteen years the old hotel regained its former fame and glory.

Shortly before the end of the nineties, David sold to Liz McGrath of the renowned Cellars-Hohenort and The Plettenberg.  More  restoration followed and it opened with style and elegance as a five-star hotel.

The grand old lady are preparing for her first centenary celebrations with dignity  as a world class hotel.

Information and copyright:  S.J. du Toit                  Photos: Old Harbour Museum and Marine Hotel

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical, Hermanus Hotels | Tags: , , , , | 1 Comment

Brave rescue in the old harbour – 1932

DOUGLAS McFARLANE

One of the bravest rescues in Hermanus took place in 1932 near the old harbour in shark-infested waters. A fourteen year old boy, named Roos was washed off the rocks on the outer side of the protecting wall. A rough see was running. The strong current immediately took him out to sea.

On the cliff top above the harbour, the two friends and long-time boxing rivals, Douglas McFarlane (19) and Kaiser de Kock were watching the fishermen battling to negotiate the entrance to the harbour under extremely hazardous conditions. They also noticed two great white sharks cruising towards the entrance to the harbour, no doubt after blood from the fish-cleaning tables running into the sea at the breakwater.

Walking down the steep path of the harbour, a frantic policeman came running towards them explaining about the boy in the sea, and begged Douglas, known as a strong swimmer, to help. The policeman himself could not swim. Douglas ran to the breakwater, kicked off his sneakers and judging the swell, dived into the sea. As he launched himself, he heard Kaiser’s voice:  “Oppas vir die haaie, (mind the sharks) Doug”!

Crowds gathered as Douglas reached the boy out at sea, with powerful strokes.  On reaching him Douglas told Roos to relax as he would hold him up. Fortunately the boy kept his cool and Douglas was able to keep them both afloat. Owing to the heavy swells, it was impossible to swim back. A boat put out and saved them both in the nick of time. Both were fatigued having received severe buffeting from the waves.

The presence of sharks kept niggling Douglas and as his hands closed on the gunnel of the rescue boat, with one last supreme effort he heaved himself into the boat and safety. Those on the cliff top, watching the rescue drama held their breath anxiously as the two boys were brought to safety. Everyone agreed it was the bravest deed they ever witnessed. Douglas had only recently left school. He was awarded the Royal Humane Society bronze medal for having saved a life from drowning.

At 91 Douglas McFarlane currently lives in Fynbos Park Retirement Village with his wife Lettie. They’ve been married 68 years and have three children. Douglas is the only surviving child of Wattie and Aletta McFarlane’s ten children.

Information: S.J. du Toit,  Jeanette du Toit, Cape Odessey     Photo: Old Harbour Museum

Categories: Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , , | 1 Comment

Who built and repaired boats in those early years?

Hermanus Fishing boatsWho built and repaired boats in those early years in Hermanus?  You may also ask this question.  John Louis built the harbour house (today the Burgundy Restaurant) and set up boat-building business in the latter part of 1870’s.  John came from Sweden and jumped ship, from a  “Windjammer” where he was employed as shipswright.  He soon became part of the small fishing community and met up with young widow Martha Wessels.  Unfortunately they could not marry as her husband who deserted her years before could not be confirmed dead.

John became known as Sweed Wessels.  He built a second house where Martha and her three daughters lived.  They were happy and her children accepted him as father and the grandchildren called him Oupa.  Coena Haman of Cafe Royal was one of Louis’s grandchildren.

In 1902 a friend, Mr Overbeek presented Sweed with a small cypress tree and the six year old Coenie helped to plant the tree.  It was the same cypress tree that gave the name to the Cypress Tree Tea Garden and when Ethel Rubery bought the cottage in 1928 and turned it into a restaurant.

John was also a keen fishermen and owned two boats – Morning Star and Mabel.  He served in the town council but died at an early age of fifty three.  According to Coena Haman, his son Hennie Wessels carried on building and  mending boats at harbour house but later moved to Westdene.  Martha  moved in with her daughter, married to Lewies Poppies Swart, in the house where the library stands.

The monument left by Sweed Wessels is now the Burgundy, formerly known as The Cypress Tree Tea Garden, and is also a National Monument.

Story and information:  S.J. du Toit                   Photos:  Jeanette du Toit and the Old Harbour Museum

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , , , , | 4 Comments

HERMANUS STORIES – A FISHERMEN’S VILLAGE

Women clean fish

The pioneers of Hermanuspietersfontein were experienced fishermen who understood and respected the sea.  Six days of the week they laboured from early dawn and when they returned from the sea with boats laden with fish, their wives and children were waiting to do the cleaning and curing.

The fishing culture comprises much of interest.  The Afrikaans word “ses-riem” is a boat with six rowers.  The afrikaans word “riem”  is an oar.

On the side of a boat one finds  little iron triangles for the oars to rest on.  When letting a boat in and out of water, they had a ritual with a rhythmic in afrikaans “eena-tweena nou, eena-tweena nou, hy loop … eena-tweena nou” translated = one – two, one – two there he go.

They dried fish on bokkomstands (scaffolds)  in the fishbay and in their backyards.  In most cases the children also became fishermen.  It was a true fishermen’s village.

Information:  S.J. du Toit           Photo: Old Harbour Museum

Categories: Hermanus, Hermanus Historical | Tags: , , , , | Leave a comment

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,363 other followers